Menopause is a turning level in a girl’s life on the subject of well being. It’s the finish of the menstrual cycle, and is normally accompanied by a whole lot of hormonal adjustments. The indicators and signs can differ from individual to individual. Whereas some folks have it simple, for others, it’s accompanied by discomfort, nervousness, sizzling flashes, temper swings, and hormonal abnormalities.
In accordance with Amol Naikawadi, preventive healthcare specialist and joint managing director, Indus Well being Plus, a girl’s cardiovascular and bone well being “endure dramatically” after menopause.
He provides that it could possibly result in osteoporosis, which “weakens bones, growing the danger of sudden, unexpected injury”.
“Osteoporosis, which interprets to ‘porous bone’, ends in a major lack of bone mass and power. The illness usually progresses with none signs or ache,” the skilled says.
He lists the issues menopausal ladies can do to scale back their threat of osteoporosis and to advertise bone well being; learn on.
1. Eat extra calcium-rich meals: Getting sufficient calcium will assist rebuild and keep robust bones. Glorious sources of calcium embody darkish inexperienced leafy greens like kale, spinach, and broccoli, low-fat dairy merchandise, canned fish with bones like salmon, calcium-fortified orange juice, and bread produced from calcium-fortified flour.
2. Train often: Train prevents bone degeneration and strengthens muscle mass and bones. It encourages continuous motion and exercise. Weight-bearing workout routines that must be carried out at the very least three to 4 occasions per week are the perfect for stopping osteoporosis. Taking part in tennis, jogging, strolling and dancing will help. Power and steadiness workout routines might also assist keep away from falls, lowering the danger of bone fractures.
3. Eat extra vitamin D: Your physique can higher take in calcium with vitamin D. By spending a complete of 20 minutes exterior within the solar every day, our our bodies can produce sufficient vitamin D. Different sources of vitamin D are milk, fortified cereal, eggs, fatty fish like salmon, and dietary supplements. With an excessive amount of, your kidneys may endure, and you might lose bone mass, so it is best to discuss to your physician about how a lot is appropriate.
4. Analysis your drugs: Steroids, a number of breast cancers therapies, seizure medication, blood thinners, and thyroid drugs can all hasten bone loss. In case you take any of those drugs, discuss to your physician about methods to scale back your threat of bone loss by food regimen, life-style adjustments, and presumably further medicines.
5. Think about oestrogen therapy: Oestrogen is a hormone produced by the ovaries; it helps stop bone resorption, and is a therapy choice for osteoporosis prevention. Replenishing the oestrogen misplaced throughout menopause enhances the physique’s capability to soak up and retailer calcium (when the ovaries cease producing most of it).
“Oestrogen remedy is barely recommended for girls with extreme menopausal signs and at excessive threat for osteoporosis because of the dangers concerned,” says Naikawadi.
6. Keep away from unhealthy substances: Keep away from smoking and consumption of alcohol. Smoking reduces the physique’s manufacturing of oestrogen, which protects the bones. Alcohol can weaken the bones and enhance the danger of falling and breaking a bone.
📣 For extra life-style information, observe us on Instagram | Twitter | Fb and don’t miss out on the most recent updates!